Here are the rules for entering swimming pools and hot tubs in Portfolio Manager:
Heated Pools (both indoor and outdoor):
- Enter indoor and outdoor heated pools, if they are not separately metered. Instructions:
- Go to the Details tab
- In the upper right box which lists all of your Property Uses, find "Add Another Type of Use"
- Under "Entertainment/Public Assembly" select "Recreation"
- This will bring up another box where you can select "Swimming Pool"
- Click the "Add" button on the right
- You will be taken to a page to fill in the Use Details
- Fill them in and click "Save Use"
- Note: The Gross Floor Area of indoor heated pools should already be included in your building GFA. You do NOT add the GFA of outdoor pools
- The energy use of outdoor heated pools varies widely depending on your outdoor temperature and other local weather conditions, therefore the adjustment for outdoor, heated pools is conservative. As a best practice, we recommend you submeter outdoor heated pool energy, and NOT include it when benchmarking your building.
- If your pools are sub-metered, its probably best to exclude them from your property, especially outdoor heated pools.
- The adjustment for pools is only relevant for property types that can get a score. Non-Scorable property types will not see any adjustment in their metrics for swimming pools, though you can still track them for your own use.
- If you want to understand all the technical details of how Portfolio Manager treats pools in benchmarking, see our Technical document: ENERGY STAR Score for Swimming Pools
- Do not enter any unheated pools because they should use very little energy.
- Do not enter hot tubs (there is no way to enter them), but their energy should be included in the total energy consumption for the building. See this FAQ article.