The National Median is an extremely useful benchmark: 50% of properties perform below the median, and 50% perform above the median. It represents the middle of the national population.
Most property types in Portfolio Manager get their National Median from the Commercial Building Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS). There are 3 exceptions where the National Median is not based on CBECS data: Multifamily, Data Centers, and Wastewater Treatment Plants. CBECS does not have a National Median for these 3 property types. Their Medians are based on other survey data.
There are many National Median metrics in Portfolio Manager that you can include in custom reports:
- National Median ENERGY STAR Score (always 50)
- National Median Site Energy Use (kBtu)
- National Median Source Energy Use (kBtu)
- National Median Site EUI (kBtu/ft²)
- National Median Source EUI (kBtu/ft²)
- % Difference from National Median Site EUI
- % Difference from National Median Source EUI
- % Difference from National Median Water/Wastewater Site EUI
- % Difference from National Median Water/Wastewater Source EUI
- National Median Energy Cost ($)
- National Median Total GHG Emissions (Metric Tons CO2e)
- Table of National Median values.
- FAQ: How is the National Median calculated?
- 3-minute video that explains EUI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3wbcxhHdHk&feature=youtu.be