Search by Topic:

How do I add a new Property Use to an existing property? Follow

Because there are not currently Start/End dates for Property Uses, you need to add the new Property Use as if it existed when you first started tracking your building.

Here's an example to help illustrate the steps: Say you have a 10,000 square foot office property that you have been tracking since 2000. In January 2013, one of the floors (1,000 sq ft) became a Data Center.  To add this new Data Center Property Use:

  1. On the property’s Details tab, go to the “Add Another Type of Use” drop down in the upper right corner. Pick the new property use (in this case it would be "Data Center"), and click “Add.”
  2. You will be taken to a new page to enter the Property Use Details for this new Property Use (Data Center). The “Current as of” date will be defaulted to the date you started tracking this property (in our example, 1/1/2000). Since it is a new Property Use, we need to first add it as if it existed back in 2000, so fill in zeros for all of the Property Use Details (Gross Floor Area (GFA), etc.), or leave them blank. Be sure to “Save Use.”
  3. Next, add the updated (real) information. From the property’s Details tab, look for this new Property Use in the upper right of the page, and select “Update with New Information” from the Action menu. Fill in the updated Property Use Details for this use (1,000 square feet for the GFA beginning 1/1/2013, etc). 
  4. Finally, make sure you adjust any other property uses, if needed. In our example, since 1,000 of the 10,000 square foot building was converted to a Data Center, I need to reduce my Office GFA from 10,000 square feet to 9,000 square feet on 1/1/2013.

Why do you have to do this? Portfolio Manager does not currently provide a Start/End dates for Property Uses. Therefore, Portfolio Manager thinks there is an error if you have Property Use Details for only one year out of the 10 year building history. Adding Start/End dates for Property Uses is on our list of potential enhancements.



Have more questions? Submit a request