Search by Topic:

Should I create a separate Property Use for a commercial kitchen? Follow

No. As a general rule, EPA recommends you enter as few Property Uses as possible. Some Property Types ask you about Cooking Facilities in your Property Use Details:

  • K-12 Schools, Hotel, Worship Facilities, & Supermarket ask if you have a “Cooking Facility.” If you have a cafeteria, restaurant, or snack bar, this is the way you include it in Portfolio Manager. You should not break it out as a separate Property Use. If you have a small employee breakroom, it should not be counted as a “Cooking Facility.”
  • Hospitals are assumed to have Cooking Facilities so you should not break them out separately.
  • Offices – See this FAQ.

The only exception to this rule is if you have a restaurant/cafeteria that is:

  • More than 25% of the property's GFA (then you should enter a separate Property Use)

Refer to this FAQ for more information on when to break out different property use types.

Have more questions? Submit a request