ENERGY STAR certification for Multifamily Housing is available to properties with:
- 20 units or more (per campus, not per building)
- greater than 75% occupancy
- an ENERGY STAR score of 75 or more
- not available to townhome-only or duplex-only communities* (as long as the townhomes, duplexes, triplexes, quadplexes, etc. are less than 50% of the total units the property is eligible)
Other notes about requirements:
- There is no minimum square footage
- Your occupancy must be greater than 75% to be eligible for ENERGY STAR certification, but you can still get a score if your occupancy rate is 75 or lower
- Your occupancy rate does not affect your score
- If you have less than 20 units, you can't get a score. You will get an EUI in this case.
*A community that is made up exclusively of townhomes and/or duplexes can still benchmark as multifamily housing, but would not be eligible for ENERGY STAR certification. However, a community that includes townhomes/duplexes/triplexes/quadplexes/etc. and apartment buildings is eligible for certification as long as more than 50% of the living units are located in the apartment buildings.