ENERGY STAR certification for Multifamily Housing is available to properties with:
- 2 or more units per building
- 20 or more units per campus
- Greater than 75% occupancy rate
- ENERGY STAR score of 75 or more
Other notes about requirements:
- There is no minimum square footage
- Your occupancy rate must be greater than 75% to be eligible for ENERGY STAR certification, but you can still get a score if your occupancy rate is 75% or lower
- Your occupancy rate does not affect your score
- If you have less than 20 units, you can't get a score. You will get an EUI in this case.
- Communities of single-family homes are not eligible. If your property is a mix of multifamily and single-family homes, the property would still be eligible as long as the single-family homes are less than 25% of the total GFA.
** This definition was updated in June 2017 to remove language about townhomes and duplex communities not being eligible.