There are four ways to enter meter data:
1. Enter manually (PM Level: Beginner)
2. Upload a specially formatted spreadsheet with bill data (one meter at a time). (PM Level: Intermediate)
3. Use our upload tool to create meters and enter bill data (multiple meters and/or multiple properties at once). Note: this is for advanced users. (PM Level: Expert)
4. Hire a company that exchanges data with Portfolio Manager to update your energy data automatically. For more information, see our Introduction to Web Services. (PM Level: Beginner/Intermediate *Best option, if available)
1. Enter meter data (bills) manually:
- Go to the Energy tab for the property
- If you haven't already, add the meter to this property, view this FAQ on what is required.
- Choose the meter that you want to update. Select the hyperlinked meter name
- Enter your meter data/bills.
- To finalize, be sure to click "Save Bills" at the bottom of the screen.
2. Upload a formatted spreadsheet (one meter at a time):
- From the Energy tab, click on the meter that you want to update.
- At the bottom of the page, click on the link for our simple "spreadsheet template"
- An excel file will open. Enter your data. Be sure not to make any formatting changes to the spreadsheet
- Save the excel file to your computer
- Go back to the Manage Bills page for that meter
- Under "Upload data in bulk for this meter" click on the Browse button, and select the Excel file you just updated.
- Select "Upload." The newly added meter information will appear on the screen.
- To finalize, click "Save Bills" at the bottom of the screen.
PLEASE NOTE: if there are any errors in your energy meter data, alerts will display in red. You will need to make the necessary adjustments.
- Or, you can copy/paste your data from the Excel file onto the Manage Bills page (view this FAQ for instructions)
3. Upload bulk data (multiple meters and/or multiple properties):
- On the My Portfolio page, on the bottom, left, click on: “Upload and/or update multiple properties.”
- In the "Edit and Manage Information" box, click: Create an Upload Template.
- Select the task you are performing (Add Bills to Existing Meters), the properties you want to update, then click: "Create & Download Template."
- Open the template document, fill in the required data, and save it.
- Return to the Upload and/or Update Multiple Properties page.
- In the Upload Spreadsheets box, select the "Type of Upload" (e.g. Add Bills to Existing Meters).
- Browse to select your completed template.
- Click "Upload"