Search by Topic:

Will water scores for other property types be added? Follow

Possibly. In order to create an energy or water score for a new property type, EPA needs to analyze data from a sufficiently large, nationally representative sample of similar buildings. Most of the current ENERGY STAR scores, use the U.S. Energy Information Administration’s Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS) data, because it is a nationally representative sample and it is updated on a regular basis.  CBECS will start collecting water data with their next survey.

As time and resources permit, EPA will occasionally partner with outside organizations who wish to conduct a survey to gather the information needed for an energy or water analysis. Currently, EPA is working with the American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE) to potentially update the ENERGY STAR scores for medical office buildings and hospitals with updated ASHE data. ASHE also collected water use in their survey.

Have more questions? Submit a request